Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Our Own Founded Craft

So with Halloween approaching and me, recently bitten with the craft bug, things are definitely afoot. My two friends, a couple whose company I frequent, and I were trying to figure some things out for a costume party/ potluck that we are attending. Hilda then mentioned a coffin idea she was hatching recently and off it took. Bruno, the secret architect that he is, manufactured the original two. I took them home and paper mache and painted, along with some accents. Hilda added decorations to her original scheme. It was then, not only a craft bug, but the coffin craft bug ta-boot.

So here I am making my own version of the cardboard coffin, miniature of course. Wanna know how?




First I grabbed a shoe box. This I saw, from Bruno's coffins, was easiest, less
finicky too. I was already half way through making my coffin when I remembered to take pictures so here's my fake shoe box and it has a couple repeat appearances along the way.






Then there was the step of drawing a crotch, or big Y on the shoe box and cutting it accordingly. You will also need to cut the bottom and trim some away. You'll be able to see a straight side and a slanted side other wise. Say that ten times fast.











I then folded it over on it self and taped it. I mean A LOT of tape, not just a little. Make sure that sucka stays in place.












Tape the bottom and inside too.
 I also closed all seams on the out side at this point.
And the top, sealed to top seam too.
You'll notice that I cut the shoe box to be less deep as well. You can if you want before you tape it.











I then had the top in tack, cut it in half (you'll want to be pretty precise here) it forms two flaps and fashion an addition piece the same size as the foot of the coffin to make the top of the head. Tape it all in place!










So there you have a basic coffin shape. After you fill the hole, I always say re-enforcement is a good idea. So from the lid I fashioned another back piece (two to fill it). Taped all the seams and moved on to the next step.















Paint the thing. I picked a black and navy inside which worked well. Now you'll see that acrylic doesn't stick to the tape so well, so always mix enough for two coats and store it between coats.. The outside I chose a purple, tan and burgundy mix (I am low on paint people). Again saving some for the second coat.


Now I am doing some more marker and paint work to detail but I am going to leave something and do a recap of all my unfinished crafts. When they get done. haha.

LO

No comments:

Post a Comment